Thursday, October 23, 2008

Lipari: Day three, down time.



Today was supposed to be our last day here, but i woke up this morning and the first thing i did was I went downstairs to schedual another 2 nights here. We went and ate breakfast at this restaurant down the road. The place we are staying at is supposed to have breakfast but for some reason they are not doing it so they are giving us these vouchers to go to this restaurant for breakfast instead. Its okay, they have this bread thing that i can eat, it fills me up, and i just get water with it. Breakfast here in Italy isnt that big of a deal anyway.
After breakfast we went down to the port to make resvervations for the guided tour to the volcano and all that, well it was full. So we are now going on Saturday to Stromboli and Panarea. Tomarrow we are going to go to Vulcano island and going swimming in the mud and jacuzzi volcano water. Since we were left today with nothing to do we hopped onto a bus and went to the other side of the island and went swimming in the Mediteranean. It was cool because in the distance we could see Panarea Island and Stromboli and we could see the steam coming out of Stromboli, it was awesome. I fell alseep on the beach and i now have a hand print sunburnt into the middle of my chest. Prety cool, right? Sunburnt on october 23rd.















We were at the beach pretty long, long enough for me to get a good nap in at least. We got there at 11 in the morning and left around 2 or 3. Got back to our room at 4:30 and we've just been chillin ever since. I took a shower and went down to the super market to buy three things things.

Water: Water here comes in two sizes, a normal 12 oz. plastic bottle and a HUGE bottle, it doesnt even say the size, its gotta be 48 oz at least. And this supermarket sells these huge bottles of water for 28 cents.
Cookies: Suprisingly, in all of italy and france, and switzerland, this one super market on a tiny island has soy products, not only that but they also have rice milk. They have these vegan soy cookies that come in bags. Two flavors: Chocolate chip and hazelnut.
Lotion: For the sunburn of coarse!

I come back and Morganne is reading and i just sit down and hop onto the computer, catching up on news: national, international, and with my friends.

We leave the doors open in our room to our terrace, because it is so nice. But the flys here are so bad, we havent had much of a problem untill today. They wouldnt leave us alone. I hate flys...

Morganne eventually falls asleep and im still on my computer. Looking through my Itunes and stuff.

Before i left to Europe, my good friend Conor told me one thing: that im going to miss country music.

What he meant in that (country) was the bluegrass and folk music that is getting pretty popular in Traverse City, with Seth Bernard and Daisy and Breathe Owl Breathe and Luke and the rest of Earthworks. And he is right. Here in Europe you dont ever hear anything like bluegrass or folk. Im sure its here but I feel that kind of music is something you have to dig a bit for, so whilst in my travels i never hear it. So the playlist that i have been listening to the most on my itunes is the folk playlist. Its all iv been listening to, with an occasional dabble in some hip hop or hardcore or something. But the bulk of my listening has been the TC folk scene.

Okay, im getting into music now, this is going to get long now. Iv been trying to avoid talking about music in this blog for so long now because i know if im going to talk about music i might as well start a music blog and not get my travel blog involved with it...BUT....

Back at home, before i left i had a HUGE cd collection, i dont even know how many i had, probably somewhere between 600 to 800 cds, i dont know. Well, I put them all onto my computer. It was approximatly 60 gigabites of music, a little more. Before i left i boxed them all up and sold them to Sound It Out records in TC ( the money from this is pretty much what is getting me through europe ) so if you want any cd's i suggest going there to their used section, i kept mine all in really good condition and there is alot of all kinds of music, new and old. But also when i got this computer i would go to the library and check out cds and put them onto my computer. And i would do hardrive trades with friends, when we would trade our external hardrives and take music from eachother. I am also dipping a bit in downloading music. All in all i have about 120 gigs of music on my computer. Which is ALOT. I wanted it to be this way so that when i am here in Europe i am not spending my money on records (it turned into a bad habit) but i am still able to go into my itunes and listen to something new everyday. Literally, its like everytime i open up my itunes its like im walking into an AWESOME record store where i dont have to buy anything!

Also a good thing that comes out of this is that when im back in TC looking for a new house to move into i dont have to worry about the 7 boxes of cds iv had to mess with in my past moves. I am actually pretty excited about that because going to Europe gave me a reason to get rid of alot of junk that i dont need, so when i head home i have it narrowed down to just a couple boxes of nick nacks and a bag of clothes that i have to move. Its pretty nice.

So along with all the Earthwork friends:

Iv been listening to alot of Bon Iver, Beirut, and Bowerbirds. Ha, all start with B, wierd, huh? They all remind me of hanging out in TC, especially with Mat and Nate, and Anthony, and Ian. Who i all miss alot. Im glad i was able to spend my last night in TC with them for Anthony and Joannas birthday party.

But when im not listening to them (the tree Bs)

I just got Modeselektor's newest album: Happy Birthday which i have been liking alot! Which also got me into TTC, which, funny enough, is a French hip hop group.

Im still listening to that new Ceremony too, it never gets old and i can listen to it real quick! Im pretty sure you can listen to their whole discography in about 20 minutes. Before i came to Europe i got into With Honor which is still ringing around here. And Inti got me listening to alot Gorilla Biscuits and Sick Of It All too.
I wish i could be there to see that Have Heart/Blacklisted show in Detroit. But thats okay because i just found that Ceremony and Verse is playing in Rosswein Germany on November 22nd, so i AM going to that, I will go to that show, i will be major bummed if i dont!

On the train between Switzerland and Rome i found myself listening to ONLY Wu-tang clan, i didnt even realize it untill i got off the train that i listened to all of 36 chambers about three times, Ghostface (Rachel, if your reading this, i found the Ghostface Killah/MF Doom collaborations!), ODB and Gza the entire ride.

So, in a nut shell thats the music thats been keeping me moving, along with the good food and people and scenes. Exactly what i want to keep me moving here in Europe.

1 comment:

Rachel Lipscomb said...

LANCE! HI!

I am always reading this. i want to listen to that shit. you need to share with me when you get back!