Friday, October 10, 2008

Bern: Day 3

Its a rainy day today in Bern.

Lastnight I went for kind of a late night walk and i walked across one of the bridges and around on the other side. When i started walking back an old man with a huge white beard stopped me and asked me a question in German, something about the moon as he pointed to it. I told him i didnt understand and then he started talking to me in English. It was mostly him talking, he seemed extremely knowledgable talking about politics not only in the U.S. but in Germany and Poland and Switzerland and Russia and France. He was from Germany but it sounded like hes been living in Bern for a really long time. But he finally asked me the question again in English, he asked me "What kind of moon is that?" and i told him its a half moon. Not quite full but more than just a sliver. In the middle of him talking he pulled out of his backpack a glass and a thermos of something, i dont know what it was. But he filled up his glass and drank it very slowly. When he was done he made sure that was also the end of our convorsation and he left on these words:

"Make a change without driving yourself mad, and if someone does go mad, you can not fear them."

That was also one of the only things i could actually understand. He had a very very thick german accent. Some times even asking me how to say something in English. SO i couldnt really understand much...

but that was a bit exciting.

I came back to the hostel and they were playing Old School in the common room, so i sat and watched it. I like that movie. Then i came up to my room and went to bed.

I think im going to buy a new pair of shoes today. I didnt yesterday but today i might. Its difficult though because all the shoes around here are leather, there is alot of leather here.
Im not too sure what else to do here today since its a rainy day. Im down to my last few coins here, a couple francs, so i will probably just buy a baquette for the day and eat that with the grapes i baught yesterday at the market.

Bern has been my favorite place so far in my travels. Its easy to navigate, the people are really nice, and the exchange rate is actually better here than anywhere else in Europe. Although things are alot more expensive here. Finding a dish to eat a resteraunt here for under 15 francs is quite the challenge. But i think if i were to move anywhere outside of the U.S. it would be here in Switzerland.

Its just they speak an odd dialect of German here, I think its a mix of german and french. I dont know what it is, but it hasnt been too big of a problem because it seems like everyone know english here too. Even the beggers know english.

Tomarrow im going to Rome, Im lucky because John set me up again with a friend of his there, Inti, who will actually meet me in the train station. So thats awesome, i dont have to spend my first couple hours in Rome walking around looking for his house. Even though i know its near the Colliseum, at least now i dont have to walk around looking for the Colliseum, although im sure thats not to hard to find. But im excited for Rome and to hang out there. Im not to sure how long i will be there for, at least a week. Rome will be my first long stay. At least untill the 18th when i will meet Morganne in Florence. Maybe in Rome I will take a few day trips further south and to the vatican city. I guess every wensday the Pope visits the Vatican city, so maybe i will go see him. That would be pretty okay, right? And see all the past dead popes.

1 comment:

thefooz said...

Lance I'm predicting that the old man is you from the future. As long as your trip goes acordingly. I know that you will find yourself in Bern again. Good lick on Rome hommie