Friday, June 12, 2009

Meatless Content

So, if your reading this then you know who i am...and you know that i am AT LEAST a vegetarian, and i havent eat'n meat in such a long time that i have completely forgotten what meat tastes like and feels like. But if you dont know me, then let me give you a few fun facts about me:

Im Vegetarian, have been since i was 16 years old, so thats 7 years strong right there. But last march i decided to take my diet even further. For over a year now i have been a Vegan. In the last three years though id say i tried to be vegan at least a couple times, failing after just a few days. But the last time i tried it felt very natural to me. It was when i was coming out of a cleansing period.
When i cleanse i drink a mixture of Grade B Maple Syrup, Chayanne pepper, Lemon juice, and a lot of water. And thats it, for a week. I dont eat anything at all, i just drink that mixture. So when you start eating after a week of not eating anything at all you obviously dont want to shock your body by eating a burger or anything like that, right? Well when i was breaking the cleanse i kind of knew that it would be a good time to try a vegan diet again, so i did. I started slow with just fruits and veggies and worked my way up from there, and i just never got back into cheese and eggs and stuff like that.
So now I'm vegan. NO animal products at all, i'll do some honey, but other than that...No animal products. Its to the point where just thinking about eggs is kind of gross to me, and scrambled eggs used to be my favorite. But now, just the sight of scrambled eggs turns my appetite....OFF.

But, along with the package of this diet comes the very little ability to eat out and also what is the real thorn in the foot is the ridicule and ignorance from other people around me that i have to deal with pretty much on a daily basis. From people asking me where i get my protein to all the arguments from people seriously trying to convince me that my choice is going completely against human nature. Well, the reason why i am bringing this up is because i recently read an article that, well, proves all those people wrong who think that eating meat is just human instinct. And even though the people who read my blog might not be the ones who have a problem with vegetarianism or veganism or any of that, this is a good way to get this particular ball of information rolling around so that maybe it will roll or be talked about or read to someone who does think that humans need meat to survive. Because they dont...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/shattering-the-meat-myth_b_214390.html

1 comment:

Ryan C. said...

cool article man....im glad to hear you have stuck with veganism! im gonna have to try that cleanse sometime. it sounds interesting. hope to see you soon

-Ryan